What is it?
The municipal district of Sa Pobla is in the north-east of Majorca and covers an area of around 48 square kilometres. The shape of the land is specific to it (extremely flat) and this, coupled with significant underground water reserves, make it one of the most productive agricultural districts. In fact, it is the main vegetable producer on the island with the potato being the star.
During the route, the visitor can enjoy the main elements of the town’s historic centre which is noteworthy for its traditional architecture and culture.
The starting point is the railway station. From here, we suggest a trip around Sa Pobla town centre which is almost three kilometres long.
Sa Pobla Station
The current station in Sa Pobla was built in 2000 when the railway line was reopened. It is about 400 metres from the old station, as the section of the railway line that went into the town centre was closed off.
Sa Pobla Old Station
The old passenger building in Sa Pobla is a single storey with a gabled roof. The station was always rather small for the large amount of goods produced by the area. Because of this, the station warehouse, built in 1878, was altered in 1906 when the platform was lengthened. In 1946 a large porch was built.
The station originally had a passenger building, a warehouse, a covered platform, a coal bunker, a coach house, a turning platform and a cast water tank.
When the line was reopened in 2000 a new station was provided and the old one used for cultural events.
When the potatoes were harvested, Sa Pobla generated a huge amount of cargo, up to the point where a locomotive was provided that was solely used for freight transport from Sa Pobla to Son Bordils. From the station, it went down a siding to the Sa Pobla Agricultural Cooperative warehouse. The line was laid in 1939 and taken up in 1958.
Sa Pobla was, without doubt, a fine example of the importance of freight transport. Proof of this can be found in over 289,000 tonnes of cargo transported in just one year (1946) throughout the 211 kilometres of railway track in service at the time.
The building was constructed as the Council house following a design by the architect Joan Sureda Villalonga. The works began in 1812 and took ten years. It was officially opened on 1822. It shows a symmetry between the main and rear façades that has adapted perfectly to the urban rebuilding that took place in the Plaça Major and Plaça Constitució.
This is the result of the redevelopment of public spaces carried out in 1877 which produced a huge square. There is an open market on Sundays.
Parish Church of Sant Antoni Abat
Construction of the church began in 1696 on top of a previous one dating back to 1366. The church has a basilica-type floor plan. The organ was built by Damià Caimari in 1717. The Rose chapel by the Dominican friar Jaume Garau, from Palma, was built in the same era as the organ.
Can Planes Museum
The old Can Planes mansion, built at the end of the 19th Century, belonged to a notable Sa Pobla family, the Planes, until 1972 when the building was acquired by the Town Council and converted into an ethnology and local history museum. It is currently home to the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Toy Museum.
This is a large, detached building taking up the entire block and has gardens and outside terraces on various levels. The building is very unitary, stone built and with a high quality finish. It was used as a clinic from the end of the 50’s until 1970.