What is it?
A route through the Sierra de Tramuntana where we can enjoy the magical landscape and discover one of its most iconic estates (possessió): Planícia.
Price and opening hours:
Free-of-charge and unrestricted
Approximate Length: 4 hours, there and back.
Available public transport
|Monday to Friday|
Routes serving this route Outward
Routes serving this route Return
Getting off the bus at the stop in the Plaça de la Constitució in Estellencs, we walk along the Ma-10 road towards Banyalbufar up to kilometre 93.9. There is a path here on the left of a carob tree, which is also signposted with a milestone which is rather hidden under some bushes. 3 minutes later our path becomes a track (which is also signposted) which leaves the wider path behind on the right. 2 minutes later we cross over a track and in 7 minutes we arrive at a tarmac track where the path turns off to the right, reaching the main road 2 minutes later. We turn to the left, towards Banyalbufar and in 12 minutes, at kilometre 92.2, we take a cement path to the right which is signposted and leads us to the Son Serralta houses. We skirt the houses on the right hand side. Just after them a path leads off to the right, which we ignore and continue straight ahead. In one minute we get to a broken wooden gate, which we do not need to go through as we must continue on the path to the left. In 5 more minutes we go through the gateway, which does not have a gate, which is the entrance to the Planícia estate. Following the path upwards, and the signposts, we reach the Planícias tarmac drive. We cross the drive towards the left and continue on the GR, which alternates climbing and flat sections. We go over a medium-sized wall and a gulley, climb up a wide path with the S'Obi spring on the right. If we went to the right we could get to Es Rafal, but the path is cut off at this point. Because of this, we go to the right and in 11 minutes reach a recreation area and the drive going up to the houses. In 18 minutes we reach the turn off to the Aljub dels Cristians (Christians' Water Cistern) – signposted as route 3 – but we do not go this way. We continue straight ahead towards the houses, which we reach in 8 minutes.
We return to the start point on the same path we came on until we reach Estellencs.
The Planícia houses
The houses on the estate are in a privileged position in the heart of the western slope of the Planícia mountainside. They are in a good state of conservation and are some of the best examples of estate houses remaining in the Sierra de Tramuntana. In 1636 the houses were divided up into an oil press, kitchen, living room and oil store. The number of rooms and the type of furniture show that they were modest. Currently, the buildings at Planícia are complex and are arranged in an elongated fashion with the main façade facing north-east. They are two storeys high, apart from the entrance which is single-storey and crowned with a balustrade.
The main entrance is a low arch flanked by two windows. It gives access to an entrance hall that leads to a small, peaceful patio. The patio, which is covered with a trellis of vines, separates the masters' house, on the right, which is more modern, from that of the servants, to the left, which is older. The left hand corner of the patio is taken up with the water cistern.
The oil press
Planícia is one of the Majorcan estates with the longest tradition of olive growing. It has its own oil press where, until not long ago, olive oil was made and distributed on the market.
On the left wall the date when the oil press was constructed can be seen (1724), which is also when the servants' houses were built. At the time it was considered to be a modern oil press. It had two beams which made it more than prestigious. During the 20th Century, under the ownership of the Balle brothers, the system was mechanised to make olive oil production easier.
During 1944-45 this olive press produced 12,794 litres of olive oil. This could be considered to be normal output, or even rather low. According to an informant, there was a good harvest year when around 72,000 litres of oil were produced.
The oil store, adjoining the oil press, retains the decanting and storage tanks.