What is it?
This route visits a 300 metre long cove just 2.5 kilometres from Port de Pollença. The highlight is its limestone rock cliffs. The estimated length of the route is 40 minutes (each way).
Visiting hours and price:
Unrestricted and free-of-charge.
Location and contact:
Port de Pollença Tourist Information Office
Passeig de Saralegui, s/n. 07470 Port de Pollença
Telephone: +34 971 865 467
Web site: www.pollensa.com
Available public transport
|Monday to Friday|
The Bóquer route runs through one of the loveliest, most historical places in Pollença. It is an easy walk that starts at the bus stop in Port de Pollença. From here we go down the Roger de Flor street until it reaches the Avinguda de Bocchoris. At this point we turn off to the left and follow the avenue until we get to a roundabout. We cross over the roundabout and go straight ahead towards a country road that, in about five minutes, takes us to the houses on the Bóquer estate, built in the 17th Century.
This estate, which borders the Síller and Formentor properties, was owned by the Capllonch family, a member of which was Miquel Capllonch Rotger (1861-1935), an internationally renowned musician and composer who was declared an illustrious son of Pollença.
Bóquer is at the eastern end of the Sierra de Tramuntana. From the start of the route, looking east, we can see the mountains that surround the area, Pollença bay and the two towns. If we look towards the north-east, we can see the Bóquer valley, shaped by the Cavall Bernat ridge and Penyal Roig and which goes down to Cala Bóquer.
Once we have gone past the houses, there is a lime kiln which was used to burn limestone and produced quicklime, which was sold as whitewash, disinfectant and for building.
On arriving at the cove, on the left, we can see a porthole, which perforates the Cavall Bernat ridge, and also the northern part of the Formentor peninsula and the islet of Colomer.
Cala Bóquer is a very large sea inlet, between the point of La Troneta and the Sierra de Albercuix. It is an unspoilt, stony cove with no lifeguard, for which reason extreme care is advised if you wish to swim. We must also respect private property, close gates and, particularly near to the house, not make too much noise.
The flora and fauna on this route are a highly typical of the unspoilt Pollença coastline, with large areas of reeds, small palms and Alepo pines. A typical species of the area is mastic, a shrub that, in Bóquer, has developed in such a way that it reaches tree-like proportions. Along the walk we can frequently see spiny cushion plants such as Teucrium marum (cat thyme) and Astragalus balearicus as well as rosemary, sarsaparilla and estepa joana (Balearic hypericum), which is native to the Balearic Islands. More infrequently, we can see highly prized botanical species such as rapa pudenta (Dead horse arum lily), foxgloves or peonies. In the rocky coastal area there are species such as rock samphire and other plants that have adapted to resist the strong winds and high salt levels.
Animals that can be found here are herbivores such as wild goats (which put the area's plant life under pressure) and hares. Amongst the birds, we can see birds of prey, such as Eleanora's falcons and black vultures, as well as marine birds like Caspian gulls, Audouin's gulls and cormorants.
One of the most outstanding and attractive parts of the route is the Talayotic village. After two large rocks on either side of the path, looking north-eastwards, we can see a wall that climbs towards the Sierra del Cavall Bernat and, on its left, a pine forest. If you look closely at the reed beds in the upper part of the pine forest you can see what look like terraces made of large rocks. These are the remains of a Talayotic village known as Bocchoris (pre-Roman name for Bóquer).
Bocchoris is one of the most important Talayotic villages on the island. It is thought that it was built by colonists around 1000 BC. Various excavations have uncovered remains of pottery and pieces of iron. A significant number of the settlers were warriors known as foners, because of the weapon they used – a slingshot or catapult (fona in Catalan). The foners were highly skilled and were recruited as mercenaries in the Carthage wars against the Greeks, in the Punic wars and, later on, by the Romans.
It is thought that Bocchoris was made up of various villages and that it was one of the most important towns on the island. Some sources show that in the 3rd Century AD Bocchorum still existed. The town was later absorbed by Pol·lèntia, next to present-day Alcúdia, which was founded in the year 123 BC by the Consul Quintus Caecilius Metellus.