Last Thursday, the President of the Government of the Balearic Islands, Francina Armengol, presented the new interurban public transport service that will be offered in the western area of Mallorca. She was accompanied by the Minister for Transport and Housing, Marc Pons, the Director General of Transport, Jaume Mateu, the Mayor of Calvià, Alfonso Rodriguez, and the Chairman of MOVENTIA, Miquel Martí, the company operating Lot 1.
Some improvements were highlighted during the presentation, including a decrease in the travel times of some lines, such as the one connecting Palma with Puerto de Andratx or Palma with Peguera, and new connections such as the line linking Santa Ponça, Andratx and Valldemossa. The entire western area service will be provided by 50 new compressed natural gas (CNG) buses and five hybrid-electric buses.
Armengol pointed out that they had to “make an extremely important qualitative and quantitative leap to ensure our citizens’ right to transport”. She also stressed that “there’s a pending issue if we want to be known worldwide as environmentally sustainable: complying with our own Climate Change Act and, therefore, changing the transport system”. Consequently, she specified the need to eliminate cars from the roads and to have public transport that is efficient and sustainable.
Minister Marc Pons pointed out that this new service represents a change in Mallorca’s land transport model and allows the autonomous government to directly design the service supply and improve its monitoring. He also mentioned that the contract also contains social clauses to ensure good working conditions for workers.
Specific improvements in the western area service
- 50 CNG buses.
- Five hybrid-electric buses.
- 20 buses 18 m long: vehicle capacity has been adapted to the expected demand for each line.
- A gas station and two pantographs (electric chargers) in the municipality of Calviá.
- All Andratx and Calviá lines will have low-floor buses.
We’re improving the service
Increase in supply of 65.6% in km travelled and 90% in services.
- The four lines reduce travel times:
- Palma–Port d’Andratx: 50 min. (currently 75 min.).
- Palma–Andratx: 40 min. (currently 65 min.).
- Palma–Camp de Mar: 45 min. (currently 55 min.).
- Palma–Peguera: 40 min. (currently 50 min.).
- The current Port d’Andratx–Palma L102 is divided into three lines:
- Port Andratx–Andratx–Palma: every hour all year round.
- Camp de Mar–Palma: every 30 min. at peak times in summer.
- Port d’Andratx–Santa Ponça: every 30 min. at peak times in summer.
- The current Peguera–Magaluf–Palma 104 line is divided into three lines:
- Santa Ponça–Costa de la Calma–Palma: every 30 min. from March to October.
- Costa d’en Blanes–Cala Major–Palma: every 30 min. from April to October.
- Santa Ponça–Cas Català (urban line): every 30 min. in summer.
· Airport line
In summer, the service is split into two lines and the supply is doubled
- A 11 Camp de Mar–Peguera–Santa Ponça–Costa de la Calma–Airport. One bus every 75 min. from 05.45 to 23.00.
- A 12 Magaluf–Palmanova–Son Caliu–Costa d’en Blanes–Airport. One bus every hour from 05.45 to 23.30.
In winter the service is supplied by line A 14 Santa Ponça–Palmanova–Son Caliu–Costa d’en Blanes–Airport. One bus every 2 hours from 06.30 to 20.15.
· Better connections
1. New line: Santa Ponça–Costa de la Calma–Peguera–Camp de Mar–Andratx–Estellencs–Banyalbufar–Esporles–Son Maixella–Valldemossa. Service from March to October.
2. Main connection stop to Plaça Santa Ponça, where seven lines meet.
3. Other connection stops at Torrent d’Andratx, Jaume I school in Palmanova, Costa d’en Blanes/Marineland, Cas Català (EMT) and UIB (metro).
4. All the population centres in Calviá are connected to each other with a direct line or a transfer in Santa Ponça or Palmanova.
5. Three urban lines connect the entire coast from Port d’Andratx to Palma (with connection with the EMT in Cas Català).
We’re improving stops
- The municipality of Calviá is installing its own shelters with the TIB corporate design.
- New stops in Port d’Andratx and Torrent de Andratx. Stops are being reorganised in Esporles.
- Work is planned for 2020 in Plaza Santa Ponça, Cas Català, Palmanova, Peguera, Cala Vinyes, El Toro and others.
We’re improving user information
- New information point in Santa Ponça.
Further information: nova xarxa